Run Lola Run
I really love world cinema. And as any film buff should know, America is not the only place that knows how to make genuinely good movies. This selection is a German piece of cinema right out of post-pop-art-MTV-era 1998. Its the kind of film that gets completely forgotten about unfairly because it is an amazing work of art.
The narrative style of this movie is very original, there is a main story line that is repeated with three different variations. You're essentially watching three short films of the same subject, with the same characters and the same plot but with different endings. I wont touch on the plot because I don't think it needs to be addressed, there are deeper, more technical things that get brought to light through this movie.
For one thing the editing is absolutely phenomenal from two perspectives. First, the pacing at which everything flows, rather fast, successfully portrays the speediness of the film. With fast simple cuts that carry the viewer from one scene to the next to drive the plot line along. And second, keeping the story together with every turn was very impressive, most movies get lost in their action, Run Lola Run fed off of its action as it was an integral part of the film.
Run Lola Run stylistically stands out as a visual delight. The cinematography pops off the screen with highlights of arresting colors (such as Lola's rose red hair). The use of animation is even a very bold, artistic move that director Tom Tykwer pulls off with such astounding ease.
I cannot suggest this film enough to people. When people say "I wanna watch world cinema films. What foreign film should I start with?" I immediately think of this movie.
See it.

No comments:
Post a Comment